Are you a Young Carer?
Young Carers at the Castle School
Support and Advice
If you’re under eighteen years old and look after another person at home, you are a young carer. If so, you’re not alone. It’s estimated there are 50,000 young carers in the UK.
You may be looking after a parent or another relative, like a sister or brother.
- You may be looking after someone because:
- they’re disabled
- they have a long-term illness
- they misuse drugs or alcohol
- or because someone else is finding it hard to cope with being a parent or carer
As a young carer you may:
- find that you are not able to go out with your friends
- be confused or angry about the situation at home
- be having difficulties at school or college because of your responsibilities at home
- feel alone and unable to talk to anyone about your situation
- need help with the caring
We can help you with any of the above, you only have to ask, we think you’re fantastic, and
IF YOU CARE, WE CARE
You can speak to Mrs Churchill or Miss Wilson by popping-in to see them either in C1 or the Art classrooms at any time for a chat, to off-load, or to let us tell you how wonderful we think you are.
Nothing heavy and nothing written down.
IF YOU CARE WE CARE!
Most of us have routines in our lives and if you are a young carer, you have routines and responsibilities which may affect school and home life. You may not think anyone else understands.
We think you are wonderful if you are caring for a family member, in fact, we think you are fantastic! If you are worried about homework or coursework or going on a trip and will be worried about someone from home, please talk to us. We know and understand what it takes to be a young carer and want to support you to achieve your potential. We want you to feel able to talk to someone to either release some feelings of worry or stress, or to tell us you are okay. We do not want to come to you if you want to be left alone so you can e-mail us if you want some advice.
PLEASE TALK TO AN ADULT YOU TRUST IN SCHOOL IF YOU WANT HELP. YOU ARE NOT ALONE AND IF YOU CARE, WE CARE!
Mrs Churchill and Miss Wilson